Thursday, June 26, 2014

Week 20

Hello all!

The world cup here is nuts. You don`t even have to watch to know what is going on. Everybody knows the latest scores and it causes lots of conversation. You also know that Mexico is playing because there is nobody in the streets. And then all of the sudden, the city will just erupt and everyone will scream and people go crazy and just like that, Mexico scores again.

Pretty good week this week. Here are some highlights:

1. In a visit with one of the members here, she was telling us how she has been going through a rough time, and that there are just a lot of challenges that she has to face right now. We shared a couple scriptures and tried to cheer her up and give her some advice and remind her that God loves her, but she responded to us with something that really stuck with me. She said, "Don't worry Elders. I know that God still loves me. I know he loves me because he gives me challenges. If he didn`t, I would be worried that he had forgotten about me." Wow. Humble perspective huh? I know God loves me because he gives me challenges? Well geez Lady what are we doing trying to give you advice, you got it all figured out.Cool huh. Job 5:17 Happy is he whom the Lord correcteh, therefore, despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty.

2. There's tons of stray dogs in Mexico, and lots of them have babies. We found out that one mother dog had her puppies right by our house, and one night when we were just getting home, they heard our footsteps and like 7 of these tiny little precious puppies just jumped out of nowhere, ran up to us and started playing with our feet. It was so awesome. It was was like puppy therapy but genuine because they obviously wanted to hang out with us because they came to us, and weren't force to be there like they do on college campuses. nice.

3. We have been teaching a family in which the mother has cancer. She has been going through Chemo for the last two years, and isn't doing too well. I don't know if its because of Grandma Arlene or because of everything I did with Relay for Life, but for some reason I just feel so close to this Mother. I really feel for her family and want to do everything possible to help them. In a lesson that we taught them, the spirit was extremely strong, as if you could reach out and grab it. We asked the mother, Augustina to say the prayer to finish. I practically broke down at the words that left her mouth. She prayed for all the sick in the world. She prayed for all her family, and she prayed for us. She told God that she didn't know when it would be "her time," but that she trusted in him that all would work out. Nearly crying at the end, I thought of the Plan of Salvation. I felt comfort in knowing that she had put her trust in the right place, and that all would work out according God`s will. Whether it be in the near or distant future, she will one day be free from all her troubles, where she will see and live with each one of her beloved family members in His divine presence.

Love you all, hope all is well!
Elder Bernal

No comments:

Post a Comment