Friday, October 10, 2014

Week 34: "Whether by mine own voice, or the voice of my servants it is the same (D&C 1:38)"

Hello everyone!!

This was a super fast week. We went to Hermosillo on Monday, and didn't come back until Tuesday night. Then Conference was this Saturday and Sunday, and it was SO AWESOME I LOVE CONFERENCE. The first time I saw conference in the mission, I was all pumped up and so excited to watch it, and now that I have seen the second, I loved it so much more. In the words of my brother Garret, conference in the mission is almost as good as Christmas. 

For those who do not know what conference is, let me explain. When Christ was one the earth, he established a church and called prophets and apostles to direct and lead it. Through his authority, they were able to have the ability to receive divine revelation. We believe that this same organization exists today in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. General Conference is our opportunity to listen to what the ordained prophets and apostles of our modern day have to say. Their messages come through the authority they possess, which allows them to receive revelation from the heavens. Modern day scriptures reveal that the Lord has told us, "Whether by mine own voice, or the voice of my servants, it is the same. (DC1:38)." Therefore, when we listen to these men, we believe that we are literally listening to what God is saying to us through the mouths of his servants.

Some highlights and quotes that stuck with me after this weekend!

"Courage is the form of every virtue at its testing point." Lynn G Robbins, Saturday morning.

"If you are going to verify the truth of the Gospel Principles, (that is, if you want to know if they are true), you must first live them."President Uchtdorf, Saturday morning session.

"You cant feel good about watching a bad movie, just because you didn't want a really bad one." That is to say, you can feel good about doing something bad, just because you didn't do something really bad. Jorg Klebingat, Saturday afternoon.
"I may not be my brothers keeper, but I am my brothers brother." Elder Holland, Saturday afternoon

This one needs to be listened to in context, but it was one of my favorites lines of conference: "Lord, is it I?" President Uchtdorf, Priesthood session

"The question is not if we will live again, but rather, with whom." James J Hamula, Sunday morning.

Lastly, for the best part of Conference, I would like to direct this last part to all of you who are not of the LDS Faith.

If you would like know why I, and my 88,000 missionary companions have decided to serve a mission, and why members of The LDS church share their testimonies frequently, I ask you to please take the 15 minutes of your day and watch this video. It was my favorite talk of Conference. I promise you it will help you understand more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In the Saviors words, I invite you to "Come, and see."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2014/10?lang=eng&vid=3822608486001&cid=10

Also, this weekend go see the movie "Meet the Mormons." It is going to be so good!

Love you all, till next week
Elder Bernal

Link to the rest of all conference talks, available for download at no cost. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2014/10?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment